- Format: PDF
- Publisher: Routledge; 8th edition (November 3, 2017)
- Language: English
- 916 pages
- ISBN-10: 1138209880
- ISBN-13: 978-1138209886
This thoroughly updated and extended eighth edition of the long-running bestseller Research Methods in Education covers the whole range of methods employed by educational research at all stages. Its five main parts cover: the context of educational research; research design; methodologies for educational research; methods of data collection; and data analysis and reporting. It continues to be the go-to text for students, academics and researchers who are undertaking, understanding and using educational research, and has been translated into several languages. It offers plentiful and rich practical advice, underpinned by clear theoretical foundations, research evidence and up-to-date references, and it raises key issues and questions for researchers planning, conducting, reporting and evaluating research.
This edition contains new chapters on:- Mixed methods research
– The role of theory in educational research
– Ethics in Internet research
– Research questions and hypotheses
– Internet surveys
– Virtual worlds, social network software and netography in educational research
– Using secondary data in educational research
– Statistical significance, effect size and statistical power
– Beyond mixed methods: using Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) to integrate cross-case and within-case analyses.
Research Methods in Education is essential reading for both the professional researcher and anyone involved in educational and social research. The book is supported by a wealth of online materials, including PowerPoint slides, useful weblinks, practice data sets, downloadable tables and figures from the book, and a virtual, interactive, self-paced training programme in research methods. These resources can be found at: www.routledge.com/cw/cohen.
Louis Cohen is Emeritus Professor of Education at Loughborough University, UK.
Lawrence Manion was Principal Lecturer in Music at Manchester Metropolitan University, UK.
Keith Morrison is Professor and Advisor for Institutional Development at Macau University of Science and Technology, China.