- Format: PDF
- Publisher: Wiley; 1st edition (September 15, 2014)
- Language: English
- 432 pages
- ISBN-10: 1118329406
- ISBN-13: 978-1118329405
The methods and techniques to advance fuel cell development.
Although hydrocarbon fuels are widely used as power sources, they are known to emit harmful substances into the atmosphere and fuel cells are a highly efficient and environmentally-friendly alternative. Including chemical, synthetic, and cross-disciplinary approaches; this book includes the necessary techniques and technologies to help readers better understand polymers for polymer electrolyte membrane (PEM) fuel cells. With essential methods for researchers and scientists in the field, this book:
• Provides complete, essential, and comprehensive overview of polymer applications for PEM fuel cells
• Emphasizes state-of-the-art developments and methods, like PEMs for novel fuel cells and polymers for fuel cell catalysts
• Includes detailed chapters on major topics, like PEM for direct liquid fuel cells and fluoropolymers and non-fluorinated polymers for PEM
• Has relevance to a range of industries – like polymer engineering, materials, and green technology – involved with fuel cell technologies and R&D
The book begins with the fundamentals and basics, and includes detailed chapters that highlight important concepts and up-to-date methods, like macroscopic approaches to transporting protons in a polymer electrolyte and PEMs for new types of fuel cells. Such diverse topic coverage creates a cross-disciplinary understanding of an advanced application, while the focus on polymers and PEM makes this a unique and necessary book that can lead to further development in polymer and fuel cell technologies.
Hongting Pu is a Professor and Director of the Institute of Functional Polymers at the School of Materials Science and Engineering at Tongji University, Shanghai, China. Previously, he was visiting professor at the University of California, Max-Planck Institute for Polymer Research, and University of Southern Mississippi. Dr. Pu has published 210 journal papers and 2 books, and is co-inventor of 59 Chinese patents. He is also an editorial board member and referee for a number of prestigious journals.